- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional beef broth ( I use beef broth)
- Sprinkle steak with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown steak
- in batches in oil over medium heat. Add the broth, potatoes, water,
- carrots, onion soup mix, basil, tarragon and remaining pepper; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until
- vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and wine until smooth; stir
- into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Yield: 7 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 192 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 633 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.