· Pastry for Single-Crust Pie (recipe follows)
· 3 eggs
· 1 cup light-colored corn syrup
· 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
· 1/3 cup butter, melted
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1/4 teaspoon salt
· 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
· 1 cup flaked coconut
· 1 cup pecan or walnut pieces
· Whipped cream (optional)
· Toasted flaked coconut (optional)
1. Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge. (Do not prick.) Set aside.
2. For filling: In a medium bowl, combine eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt.
3. In pastry shell, layer semisweet chocolate pieces, 1 cup coconut and pecan pieces. Pour egg mixture over all, spreading evenly. To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pastry shell with foil.
4. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil; bake for 20 to 25 minutes more or till set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and store in refrigerator within 2 hours. If you like, serve with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie: In a large bowl, stir together 1- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened (4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total). Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edges until 12 inches in diameter. Continue as directed in Step 1.
· Servings Per Recipe 8 to 10 servings
· Total Fat (g)39,
· Saturated Fat (g)17,
· Monounsaturated Fat (g)13,
· Polyunsaturated Fat (g)6,
· Cholesterol (mg)99,
· Sodium (mg)309,
· Carbohydrate (g)86,
· Total Sugar (g)48,
· Fiber (g)4,
· Protein (g)8,
· Calcium (DV%)5,
· Iron (DV%)13,
· Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet