- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups frozen French-cut green beans
- 1-1/2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until browned and no longer pink.
- In a large saucepan, combine flour and 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Stir in water and remaining broth. Add the beans, onions, carrots, marjoram and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, cornmeal and cheese. Stir in milk just until moistened. Drop batter in 12 mounds onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1-1/4 cups soup with 3 dumplings equals 353 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 1,111 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 very lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.