Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Apple Confit

I am a diabetic, my hubby and kids  aren't thank the good lord. Diabeties runs on both sides of my family my mom has type 2 and my dad had type 1. I have type 2 which is better of the too, My nephew bless his heart is type 1. I am going to post some recipes for diabetics for thanksgiving also. I know how hard the holidays can be, you have to watch what you eat or it mess up your blood sugar, hate to say this but it is from experience and it can make you pretty sick. This is a good recipe for your sweet tooth and it is low in calories also.

3 pounds firm cooking/baking apples, such as Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Rome or Golden    Delicious
1/4 cup splenda
1 tablespoon of lemon
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon   
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation
Peel the apples and slice 1/4 inch thick. (You should have about 9 cups.) Place the apples in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste, and toss to coat well. Stir in vanilla. Cover and cook until the apples are very tender and almost translucent, but not pureed, cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on low.  Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.when you serve add some chopped walnut or pecans
Nutrition
Per serving: 98 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 4 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 168 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving


No comments:

Post a Comment